My favorite ever.
And such a filling and tasty training meal for all you fellow runners…
How to accomplish greatness:
(Remember, I hardly ever measure so these are estimates)
- 4 cups of veggie stock (I love Better Than Bouillon)
- 6-8 potatoes (medium sized & mixed varieties preferred for flavor and color)
- 2 Lg carrots
- 1-2 onions (depending on your taste preferences)
- 1-4 cloves of garlic (again, to your taste)
- Optional Shallots and/or leeks
- 1 Tbsp Dill
- However much Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp of each Thyme and Ogregano
- 1/2 -1 cup heavy cream (optional as well but really makes the dish delish!)
- 8 oz. Salmon
(OR any other type of fish you want, several kinds if you want. Trout or mussels are tasty too but Salmon I have found to give this recipe the best flavor.)
Start your large soup pot with your stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer as you add ingredients…
Chop your carrots and potatoes into small cubes and add them to your pot. Dice your onion, leeks, and shallots if you are adding them and add those as well. Press or finely mince your garlic and add it too. Next add all your spices and seasonings.
Simmer until the potatoes and carrots have cooked. Meanwhile cube your fish or add your mussels to your pot if using those. Mussels should steam about five minutes until they begin to open.
Next stir in your desired amount of cream. Salmon should be added last.
Gently place your cubed fish on top of the other ingredients simmering in the pot, making sure that broth is covering them and cook just a few minutes longer. You don’t want to over cook the fish, so that it remains tender.
Spoon into bowls and serve with some tasty bread and/or salad.